NOW CLOSED: CALL FOR APPLICATION: SOCIAL INNOVATORS PROGRAMME 2017
Why the Social Innovators Programme
- LEAP observed that the contributions of Nigerian towards national transformation were unrecognized, while negative reports of youth restiveness and crimes were widespread in local and foreign media.
- Increased interest of youth in social innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Lack of requisite skills to support to establish effective and sustainable initiatives that can help accelerate the transformation of local communities and create means of livelihood for many.
- Inadequate system support for young social innovators in Nigeria.
Why You Should Apply
- Access to professional level advisory from A-list consultants, investors and professionals that will help you create a profitable and sustainable structure for your business.
- Transform your business into an impact driven solution following a one-year Fellowship.
- Access to LEAP partners, funders and life long support for growth and sustainability.
- Get a chance to win #1,000,000 for your enterprise at the Social Innovators Programme and Awards in 2018.
About the Social Innovators Programme and Awards (SIPA)
LEAP Africa and Union Bank has partnered to develop the SIP 2017 to strengthen and advance youth-led change initiatives and entrepreneurship in Nigeria through training and collaborative partnerships that enhance the sustainability and overall impact of these change initiatives.
LEAP’s Social Innovators Programme (SIP) supports creative young Nigerians (Ages 18 – 35) with ideas and initiatives that proffer effective solutions to identified challenges in local communities across the country. These social innovators are highly innovative young Nigerians who are championing social enterprises and improving the lives of community members across Nigeria. Their initiatives range from inventing of safe water recycling machines, Use of ICT to curb maternal mortality, Innovative use of technology to improve food storage for rural farmers and rural economic empowerment through waste recycling among others.
The Social Innovators Programme (SIP) is a one-year fellowship which supports talented young social innovators – youth change-makers – whose ideas and initiatives offer effective and creative solutions to the challenges in local communities across Nigeria. Their initiatives cover many aspects of society, such as Agriculture, Business and Economic Development, Education, Science and Technology, Health, Law and Human Rights, among others.
During the fellowship period, selected young leaders are equipped with the personal and organizational leadership skills, networking support, and advocacy needed to strengthen and expand the reach and depth of their projects within their target communities. These fellows also join IYF’s global YouthActionNet® community of over 1,100 young social innovators being supported by 21 national and regional institutes like the Social Innovators Programme (SIP).
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Why the SIPA?
LEAP observed that the contributions of Nigerian youth towards national transformation were unrecognized, while negative reports of youth restiveness and crimes were widespread in local and foreign media.
Although there is an increase in youth’s interest in social innovation and entrepreneurship, there is however inadequate system of support for young social innovators in Nigeria.
Who can participate?
- Youth between 18 and 35 years, whose ideas and initiatives offer effective solutions to challenges in local communities across Nigeria.
- Applicants must be Initiators/ Co-founders of the named project/venture/enterprise/ Foundation.
- Social enterprise must be contributing positively to the lives of people in their local communities.
- Social enterprise must be located in Nigeria.
- Applicants must be able to show proof of work done and impact beyond 12 months prior to application.
What initiative must apply ?
- Initiatives cuts across all sectors of the economy, Technology, Agriculture, Environment e.t.c .
- Submitted ideas/business solutions must solve major social challenges in Nigeria.
Are there major areas ideas/solutions must address?
No, the program accepts solutions from all areas as long as it’s innovative, solve a problem and address major issues in Nigeria.
How will the winners be notified?
The top 20 social innovators will be notified via email and text message once the selection has taken place.
What is the deadline for application?
Saturday, July 22, 2017 12:00 midnight GMT +1.